Monday, March 4, 2013

The Wall

Good Morning!

As we start the day, the sunrise was absoulutely stunning...the wind blew so hard last night I did not sleep much, but when I peeked out the tent...WOW! What a Gift to wake up too!
We begin the prep for the day, it's very cold. It's not that we are not used to cold living in Colorado...it's just 24/7 in it is hard:)
The morning is filled with excitement for the "Wall" little did I know this would stretch me today...
I have taken pictures and videos but never in my did I realise the "climbing we would be doing until I'm on it!

Andrew wants us on the trail by 8:30, we are waiting for them to get started...:)
The camp breaks down fast so we are off. Andrew goes first, then Kristi, and I. Justo brings up the back.
We start climbing and now I KNOW what climbing the 'Wall" meant. I have my light golves on because the rocks are very cold! As we progress up the wall, the Porters walk around...they are so sure footed, amazing! Again they are all carrying 30 to 60lbs!! The guys are constantly telling us "pole-pole"...they don't have to worry I'm not into FAST on this part:)
We get to a photo spot and I shoot base camp...is it really that far down there?!?
We get to a spot where Andrew shows us how to maneuver...you go around the rock slowly, hug the rock, and then kiss it....Of course I get a LITTLE anxious, and end up taking my pack off to make it. People climb rocks all day long...just not this person:) Give me a 20 mile trail any day, just don't put me on exposed rocks!
Ok enough complaining I think you get the picture! We make it to the top of the wall and I am overjoyed!!
The view of Kilimanjaro is spectacular...so maybe it WAS worth it!
We stop for a snack and break...Oh how I wish I had more food to give away, so many porters with so little...
We look across the valley towards Karangu camp, it looks so doable after what we just accomplished!
The Diomyx is REALLY kicking in today....every other rock"peeing"! The bad part is there is just NOT much privacy:-)!

We make it to the valley and see Karangu....But you can not believe the VALLEY we have to go down and then come back up....very dry loose rumble, not easy to go down, our toes are sore after this one!
Then we make it to the bottom of the canyon...NOW up again, but I would rather go up any day than down such steep grades!
The porters actually have to go down and back to camp for water....
We make it to Karangu Camp we think around 2....of course our snack is ready and waiting. The clouds are low and it's cold...so hot chocolate tastes great!!
We get to rest for a few hours before we up climb again:)




The story continues one step at a time to the Top!!
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment