Thursday, March 14, 2013

Base camp

After my Slide down the mountain...... We reach upper base camp, reality sets in that this is not just any old mountain to climb! As we approach the camp there are a hand full of rescue people, and a body wrapped up waiting to be evacuated....Andrew inquires about what is hapening. We don't know if it is the man we saw at Stella point, but the rescue people let us know, he died at Stella point. My first thought is of his family, and second thought of his hiking crew...they let us know it is a very busy day for resues, on the mountain today? It brings my minds eye back to so many people I just saw several hours ago struggling to make the summit!
Andrew shares with me the difficulties of being a guide, people pay to summit and don't want to be turned around, but if the guide feels you are not doing well they NEED to get you off the mountain. It makes the reality of life and the climb so real for me. I am so Thankful and Grateful that I was able to complete this hike! I quietly pray for the resuers, guides, and the family as we walk away....Life is fragile.

We begin the climb down the "Wall" that scared me SO much 8 hours before....I know I'm a chicken when it comes to climbing but I'm still amazed I did it! It's a good thing it was dark on the way up:) Many people are being helped down...again Thankfulness washes over me! I can do this!

We make it into camp, I'm SO excited but also anxious to see how Kristi is doing...The crew meets us, and hugs all around! Niko brings out a silver tray, and silver cups! A big bottle of Coke!! my first thought is how did they know it's my favorite...but then I learn this is what you celebrate with to get alot of sugar back in your system! It is ice cold, and tastes GREAT! We toast to our success, and celebrate the victory!! My biggest regret at this point looking back is...no one took pictures of the Victory:( I was so busy talking, drinking Coke that we did not get my camera out... So I hope you can SEE the pictures in your mind from my words!

Then Andrew fills me in on the rest of the day....As I'm reveling in my success, he lets me know I have 11/2 hours to rest...pack and we will be on the trail to Mweka camp, really!?! I was so focused on the Summit goal I guess I didn't pay much attention to the day 5 itinerary:)
Let me share..when you have a summit in site you have alot of excitment and adrenaline flowing, but on the decsent it begins to fade...knowing I have about 7 more miles to hike, down didn't excite me:)





The story continues one step at a time from the Top!

Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment