Saturday, March 2, 2013

Baranco Camp

Enjoy!!

Headed down from Lava Cliff's 15,000 ft, we will be sleeping at Baranco 13,000ft...
After an amazing time at Lava we head off for camp..
sun and clouds today, but every where you look it's beautiful...I mentioned we are both taking, Malaira,Dyomox,Potassium...the side effect of the Dyomox is constant "peeing" and I do mean CONSANT!
Justo and Andrew both are reminding us to "drink,drink"! 3 to 6 liters a day:)....

I can not stress the strenghth and stamina of the Porters...we brought alot of snack food, and have given away almost all of it...I wish we had 10 times more! The porters have loaves of white bread that they eat:( They wear hand me downs such as..."Hello Kitty, women's pj's and a childs sweat shirt, shoes and boots that are too large, or even sandals?? Have I mentioned how Blessed we are!!

We make it to Baranco Camp at approx 3:30, signed in at Ranger station. This camp seems much smaller than Shira, but the view is breath taking!!
We washed up, found the bathrooms...they look nice but really just a "hole"...
Niko has a snack set up for us in the dinner tent...Popcorn and warm peanuts:) again I can't believe how many calories I am consuming I feel like I am eating way too much! Faustine then feeds us AGAIN! He really is a very good cook, Kristi thinks he needs to move to Estes and open a resutrant:)
We have really been missing communicating with family, so we plugged my cellphone  into the solar charger, and I tried sending a message...sent a text to my sister DD, it appears to go thru...even though I can't get anything back it feels so good to see 'SEND"!
Once the phones die we don't even know what time it is...

Andrew comes to have dinner with us, it was fun to visit and learn more about his culture.
We went through our health routine, I forgot to write down my oxygen level but I know it is in the 90's
It is extremely cold and windy at this camp! So we make our last trip to the "hole" and settle in.
I have resorted to ear plugs due to the wind and chatter...but still heard the cook tent tossed about from the strong winds!
Looking forward to tomorrow...The" Wall", little did I know what that really meant....I am a really good hiker but rock climbing is NOT my expertise:)






No comments:

Post a Comment