Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Machame Camp

Good Morning!!
Yes still on the first hike day but so much to share....
As I shared we made it to Machame camp about 3:00ish...
we get to do a little exploring....I am learning that if you don't see Kilimanjaro early you usually don't see Her!

Again those of you who know me well know I have an issue with migraines, and this was one of my worries..well you guessed it, I have one?? It was so hot and humid, the excitement, and change, not sure what brought it on but now it's time to deal with it:)
We begin to meet our crew for the next 7 days....We have a waiter, his name is Niko (we can't pronounce his whole name) he greets us with a wonderful friendly smile! Our dinner tent is set up, and they usher us in for our end of hike snack....Popcorn, Mango cookies, hot chocolate all served on a silver tray! I know I just said it was so hot, but WOW did that steaming cup of hot chocolate taste great!
No matter how I feel this just made my day!
Our tent and camp was already set up when we arrived, so after our snack, we climbed into the tent to organize, and rest....we both have narrow mats, tiny pillow and our bags were waiting. I still can not give you the visual picture of these guys carrying our 30+lbs bags on their heads!! So VERY Thankful and Grateful for them!

They let us know dinner will be served at 7:00. The evening begins to turn crisp and cool and the clouds begin to settle....SHE has been so elusive but now we finally really get to see her....I can't take enough photos. Yes I get just a little excited when I see a summit in my sights!
Dinner is served...the menu is fish in a vegi sauce with potatoes and cabbage,lime and tomatos...it was really good! Niko was so attentive! We felt a little out of place being served....
Andrew comes each evening to give us an itinerary for the next day and to check our health.
He goes through a check list of questions, and takes you pulse oxy to see what your oxygen level is...
before we got to Africa we had to start a regimene of Malaria, Diomox( for high altitude), and potassium.
My oxygen level was 93, and pulse was 59...I really felt great, except for the headache:)
Faustine the cook also came in to greet us and check on us and say "Jumbo"!( it means Hi) He has a wonderful mischievous smile!

Niko brings us a tubs of hot water to clean with, but it's hard to figure out how with so many people around.
we decide at this point the importance of wet wipes!! If I can give any advise, DON'T forget your wet wipes!
After a long day it's time to settle in...but we still have to make a bathroom stop before we crawl in!
I also did'nt share, they want you to drink at least 4 to 6 liters of water...side effect of the diomox is you "pee" constantly:) Sorry it gets more graphic as we go...

Ok we are in...I sleep until 1:00, and then again until 2:30...porters talk until late into the night:-)

Up at 5:00....


The Journey continues one step at a time to the Top!

Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment