Thursday, February 21, 2013

From the beginning!

Good Morning!...Jumbo!

I shared the ending first! So I thought I would go back to the beginning since so many friends have hasked for trip details.

Kristi my partner in crime on this journey, and I left Denver for Mn on Thursday Jan 31st. we had a very uneventful flight...which for me was good...if you can believe this I do not like to fly:(
We had a lay over and then on the Amsterdam( 7 to 8 hr flight)..Again all went smooth. I have to say in those big planes when you hit turbulence you dont feel it as much.
We arrived about 7:30 a.m....another lay over and then on to Kilimanjaro Intl!! My heart was so excited at this point. Another 7 to 8 hrs in the air:) I'm doing ok at this point with planes...
The view of Africa from the air is stunning! Even though I don't like to look out the window I could'nt take my eyes off the view!

Ok...Finally the pilot annouces the approch...I have to pinch myself...I'm in Africa and I am going t climb Mtn Kilimanjaro, it's here!! I know I'm a bit passionate but wow what a feeling!
We land on an airstrip and walk to the terminal, it's hot and humid....it;s definetly not Colorado:)
I have only been out of the country a few times but when you don't know the language you are a bit insecure...Everyone is flocking to the Immigration window, again no air conf and we still have winter clothes on. I'm sure I looked like a hot mess, but again, I am so excited to be in Africa!
The Immigration people are noy friendly and you can't understand them, sos I feel like I was saying sorry constantly:)
Finally get thru and not we wait for our luggage...even though we are the only plane...it takes for ever, this was my first experience of Africa time...just a few more minutes....not:)
Luggage arrives and now we look for our Adventure tour guide....Kristi spots him, and a friendship begins! Andrew is standing there with the biggest smile on his face! We make it out to the van, with 300 other climbers and safari goers... Again it hot humid and we have been flying since yesterday:) I think I am finally tired...
Ok my first anxious moment is just ahead....No one prepared me for the driving skills here in Africa... they drive on the wrong side of the road( ata least to me!) It's dark, and the driver goes like a bat out of....anyway:)
We get out of the airport and head to Moshi Town where we are to stay, as we are getting to know Andrew and asking questions I see a car coming right at us...you guessed it "I scream!" I am sure these two men that don't even know me are thinking, we have a nut case! But really it is coming straight for us...i learned on the rest of the trip when you are on the right side of the highway, it APPEARS the car is headed right for you!

We make it to Bristol Cottages which will be our staging point....wow in the dark it looks beautiful!
Had no idea what my surroundings looked like until morning. We setttled in for the night.

Stay tuned the Journey continues...One step at a time to the Top!


No comments:

Post a Comment